Triathlon Coaching Sydney
Onebody offers professional triathlon coaching service in the Hills district of Sydney that caters to athletes of all abilities. We offer triathlon coaching through our online portal and local Sydney triathlon coaching sessions in Castle Hill. Our triathlon coaching staff are professional full time triathlon coaches that provide a comprehensive service through a vast knowledge base of experience and education. All our triathlon coaches are qualified, registered and accredited through Triathlon Australia.
We cater for athletes of all levels and enjoy seeing improvement in everyone regardless of ability. This includes:
- Beginner triathletes
- Experienced and advanced aged group triathletes
- Elite triathletes including Junior Elite Triathletes
Every athlete has unique performance goals that need to be approached with a customised triathlon coaching and triathlon training solution. Our triathlon coaches provide coaching that is tailored to you, your ability, your lifestyle and your goals.
We have multiple triathlon coaching options that all include:
- Online training program & diary with a premium account through TrainingPeaks
- Triathlon training programs with individualised daily training sessions
- Triathlon training programs developed using proven sports science principles to obtain results
- Triathlon training programs prepared using your individualised training zones (heart rate, power, cadence, run zones etc)
- Analysis of your triathlon training data with regular feedback to help you improve the quality of your triathlon training sessions
- Access to regular communication with your Sydney triathlon coach via email and phone
All our triathlon training programs and triathlon training sessions are provided by professional, qualified triathlon coaches accredited by Triathlon Australia.
What to expect
What to expect from your triathlon coach
As an athlete, you can expect your triathlon coach to deliver a training program and training structure that is designed to suit you as an individual and your goals. Our professional coaches will provide you with your daily training sessions and oversee your long term training development. You can expect your coach to:
- Prepare your individual session content tailored to your needs
- Provide you with downloadable training files for your Wahoo Kickr or Computrainer (eg TrainerRoad)
- Provide feedback and analysis of key training sessions
- Modify your training program when required
- Assist you to prepare race strategies
- Analyse and discuss your results following races
- Recommend and propose race nutrition schedules
- Provide advice and help plan proposed race schedules for the season
- Respond to your emails promptly within 1-2 working days
- Provide basic advice on equipment and products
- Refer you to recommended health professionals when required
Email is the easiest, quickest and most convenient way to communicate with your coach and it allows them to respond quickly to your questions. You can expect your coach to respond to emails within 1-3 working days. Email is the best way to communicate the majority of your questions and for your coach to provide feedback outside of regular training sessions.
Your coach will arrange a convenient time to catch up via the phone to discuss your training program and discuss your training and racing progress. Phone calls are best arranged when preparing for major races and to discuss your training progress.
Training Program Modifications
Training programs are prepared once the coach understands the availability of the athlete during a training block. In general, your online training program will be written 2-4 weeks in advance and modifications are only required in the event of injury or illness.
What we expect from our Athletes
Our coaches put a lot of time and effort into ensuring that you have the best training programs to support you and reach your goals and your long term potential. For us to provide you with the best coaching service, there are some basic expectations that we have from our athletes. For all our coached athletes, we rely on being provided with regular feedback and updates on your progress. To help your coach being able to monitor and provide you with feedback, please ensure that you regularly:
- Provide your coach with your availability and work / family commitments prior to their training program being prepared. Please email your coach if your training circumstances change (work hours, holidays etc) and the dates of the races you have booked.
- Ask your coach if you do not understand any of the session content
- Upload your training data to TrainingPeaks
- Write brief training comments after each session in TrainingPeaks
Communication is the key to a good coaching relationship. We expect all our athletes to actively communicate with their coach regularly via phone and email. The best results are gained when both the coach and athlete work together with the athlete providing regular honest feedback
- Training background
- Racing history
- Overall racing and training goals
- Major races and your goals at each race
- Access to training venues (pools, gyms, running tracks, running trails etc)
- Access to training equipment (Stationary wind trainers, power meters, heart rate monitors etc)
- Strengths in each discipline
- Weaknesses in each discipline
From there, your coach will start to understand what you need to improve and begin planning an overall program structure to guide you towards your goals.
Training effectively means that you need to understand when your coach wants you to train hard and when your coach wants you to go easy. Your coach will prepare and verify your training zones using a number of methods to ensure that we can accurately tell you how to train efficiently and effectively. Depending on what data your coach has access to, they may ask you to perform some testing or they may prepare your training zones off recent races or training sessions that can provide them with the data that they need:
- Recent races that indicate lactate threshold for bike or run
- A Functional Threshold Test (FTP)
- Recent time trials for swim, bike or or run that provide objective data for pace and / or heart rate
- Testing protocols for running heart rate and pacing zones
Your training zones will then be set up for the equipment that you have access to
- Cycle Power Zones
- Cycle Heart Rate Zones
- Run Heart Rate Zones
- Run Paces
- Aerobic Swim Zones
Once we have your training zones set up with your TrainingPeaks account, your coach will use this information to help you train effectively and efficiently. As you improve and develop as an athlete, your training zones will be adjusted by your coach to ensure that you continue to train as effectively as possible.
Programs & Sessions
All our triathlon training programs are individualized to suit you and your goals and delivered using a premium online training account with TrainingPeaks. Each program is individually prepared using your availability and structured around your work, family and life commitments. The training programs can be accessed, viewed and updated from anywhere that you have an active internet connection. You can even view and analyze your own data on your smartphone within seconds of finishing a training session.Your coach will outline the session content for sessions that are not completed in the local squad sessions.
Training Program Structure
Your training program will be planned around your races and goals in a format that is easy to follow and understand. Expect your training program to be populated with individual training sessions several weeks in advance so that you can view what your coach has planned for you.
Individual Training Sessions
The content of each individual training session is descriptive and will outline:
- Goals and purpose of the session
- Training zones that you need to work in (Power, Heart Rate, Cadence or Specific Swim & Run Paces)
- Training intervals and intensity levels
- Any technical swimming, cycling or running drills that are part of the session
Downloadable Indoor Cycling Training Files
Athletes with a Wahoo Kickr or a Computrainer will benefit from the coach supplying their training files in a downloadable format that they can insert into software such as Trainerroad or Perfpro. This is our preferred method for supplying training sessions for indoor cycling sessions that are completed in our Power Cycle studio. These files will appear in the attachment tab of your TrainingPeaks session plan. For athletes on Gold and Platinum coaching accounts, these files will be uploaded directly into Trainerroad on your behalf and be ready to go when you are.
Downloadable Run Training Files
For athletes with compatible Garmin devices, we actively prepare sessions within their Garmin Connect account so that your run training sessions will sync with their device before their session begins. This enables you to go for a run and the watch will let you know exactly when the intervals start and stop. This service is available for athletes on Gold and Platinum accounts.
Our training programs allow the athlete to quickly and briefly provide their coach with feedback following a session. We encourage all our athletes to write simple comments following their sessions so that your coach can help monitor your progress. Your comments might indicate how you felt during the session or they may be used for your coach to understand your training file. For example – “Felt great, that last set was tough” or “Ran out of time and only completed 3 of the 4 sets”.
The format of our training programs allows you to access training information easily and provides your coach with the data that he needs to provide objective feedback
We provide our athletes with continual feedback to to improve their technique and biomechanics at training sessions. Our coaches will regularly provide feedback to athletes at training sessions and then incorporate appropriate drills and exercises into into your personalised training program. This includes
- Swimming drills
- Cycling drills
- Running drills
- Specific stretches
- Strengthening exercises
The drills and exercises that are prescribed for your individual sessions within your training program will reinforce the coaching feedback that you receive at sessions. Your coach will indicate which drills you need to focus on in your training sessions and provide links to videos to help you understand each drill. The focus on technical improvements in your sessions will improve your biomechanical efficiency and lead to increased performance at racing.
Training File Analysis
The quality of your training sessions is important to ensure that you achieving the the goal outcome of each session. To monitor the progress and provide you with feedback, your coach will analyse your files using the training zones that are prepared within your online training account. Each session will have key outcomes that your coach wants you to achieve and we can do this by comparing your data to the zones that we have prepared for you. Many of your sessions will contain training intervals within specific zones and your coach will check these and provide you with feedback.
General Analysis Your coach will analyse the quality of your sessions through the use of statistical analysis and provide you with feedback on how to improve the quality of your training session. This information will allow your coach to determine how well the session was performed and importantly, how to improve the quality of future sessions.
Indepth Analysis Your coach has a deep understanding of how to analyse files and will go beyond looking at the overall numbers for analysis. They do this to understand your individual behaviour and identify key areas that you can improve on. Feedback may include:
- Improving power output when cycling on undulating terrain and hills
- Improving gear selection when cycling and cornering
- Improving cadence and minimising free wheeling
- Minimising power spikes when time trialliing
- Pacing appropriately on the bike to run well off the bike
- Running at the appropriate pace or time interval to achieve a heart rate training zone
- Running at the appropriate pace for undulating terrain
- Swimming at the appropriate pace for endurance swimming
Our triathlon coaches have an excellent understanding of how to analyse information and provide feedback to help you improve your training and racing behaviour. Your coach will go well beyond basic analysis and provide you with useful information that will improve the way that you train and race.
Race Strategy Preparation
Having a strategy and a plan for each race is important to get the best result. Your coach will help you prepare for each race with a plan that suits your ability and your adversity for risk in that race. Depending on your race, your race plans from your coach may include advice on
- Where to position yourself in the swim
- How to approach the swim start
- Power targets and limits for the bike
- Heart rate zone guides and upper limits of the bike
- Technical feedback on a specific course and how to approach challenges within the bike leg
- Run pacing strategies including planned intervals for long course events
- Heart Rate guides and upper limits on the run
- Guides for nutrition and hydration schedules on the bike and run
If you race with a power meter, your coach can also provide you with accurate predictions of your bike splits if you are able to maintain the power targets they provided. This is incredibly useful for
- Athletes racing on unfamiliar venues where it is not possible to check the course (interstate and oversease races)
- Preparing nutrition schedules based on the expected bike length, particularly in long course triathlon
- Preparing athletes mentally for their expectations on the day to ensure a positive mindset
- Staying within power zones and pacing well throughout the bike leg
- Limiting power spikes on hills and coming out of corners
- Maintaining constant pedaling on undulating terrain
- Ensuring appropriate gear selection on varying terrain including hills
- Maintaining heart rate within defined limits on the bike and run
- Maintaining appropriate run pacing throughout the run leg
Triathlon Coaching Pricing
- 1-2 files / fortnight
- 1 / week
- 1 / month
- 1-3 working days
- 1-3 working days
- 3 months
- incl TrainerRoad uploads
- 1-2 files / week
- 1-2 / week
- 1 / fortnight
- 1-2 working days
- 1-2 working days
- 3 months
- incl TrainerRoad uploads
- 1-5 files / week
- 1-5 / week
- 2 / week
- 0-1 working day
- 0-1 working day
- 3 months