Retul Bike Fit
Retul Bike Fit
Our retul bike fit services in Castle Hill, Sydney set the standard for bike fitting worldwide. We use Retul motion capture technology and our bike fitter is both internationally recognised by the International Bike Fitting Institute (IBFI) and accredited by Retul USA. We offer professional bike fitting services and guarantee the quality of all bike fits conducted in our centre.
The Retul bike fit system incorporates three-dimensional biomechanical measurement using cycle-specific bike fitting motion capture technology. It is the most accurate and dynamic bike fitting tool available worldwide with millimetre measurement precision.
All our 3D Retul bike fits are conducted by bike fitter Daniel Bain using the Retul Motion capture system and take approximately 4 hours to complete per bike fit. Daniel has been a professional bike fitter for many years and has completed well over one thousand bike fits. We can provide bike fits you to your existing bike, or provide a comprehensive bike fit using our Retul Muve Fit Bike to help select your new bike using our Frame Selection Bike Fitting service.
Retul bike fits are appropriate for cyclists and triathletes of all levels; recreational, amateurs, elite and professional. We provide professional bike fitting for:
- Road Bikes
- Triathlon Bikes
- Time Trial Bikes (UCI Legal)
- Cyclo-Cross Bikes /Gravel Bikes
- Mountain Bikes
A professional bike fit will provide a rider with the most efficient riding position to generate power while remaining aerodynamic and comfortable. It will also help to prevent pain and the common cycling injuries associated with the knee, hip and lower back. We do many triathlon bike fits and time trial bike fits for triathletes and understand the importance of optimising the triathlon bike fit position for running well off the bike.
The bike fitting data provided after each bike fit is comprehensive and assists you to:
- Select appropriate bike models and bike frame sizes for your next bicycle
- Transfer your bike fit data to multiple bikes that you own
- Select bicycle components that suit your individual bike fit biomechanics
- Analyse and improve your pedaling technique
Step 1 – Pre Bike Fit Interview
First step in the bike fitting process in our Sydney bike fit studio is to do a full assessment of the rider. This includes the needs of the individual, such as:
- Current discomforts, injuries or issues when riding
- Performance and comfort factors (numbness, pressure issues etc)
- Physical history including injuries and pre existing conditions
- Riding style (recreational, competitive or elite)
- Racing goals (road cycling / time trial / triathlon) and distance (short / long course)
Step 2 – Physical Assessment & Musculosketal Screening
The next step in the bike fit process is to undertake a full musculoskeletal screening to identify:
- Flexibility of the lower and upper limbs
- Flexibility of the spine
- Hip rotation and pelvic tilt
- Muscular dysfunction & dominance/weakness of key muscle groups
- Ankle, knee and hip stability
- Core stability
- Range of motion through the hips and shoulder
- Current and pre-existing injury history
Step 3 – Biomechanical Marker Placement
The next step in the Retul bike fit process is placing biomechanical markers on key anatomical landmarks.
This process requires excellent knowledge of anatomy as well as skill, understanding and experience in the anatomical structure. Our accredited fitter has a vast knowledge of anatomy to ensure this process is accurate.
Step 4 – 3D motion Capture & Data Collection
The next step in the Retul bike fit process is placing biomechanical markers on key anatomical landmarks. This process requires excellent knowledge of anatomy as well as skill, understanding and experience in the anatomical structure. Our accredited fitter has a vast knowledge of anatomy to ensure this process is accurate.
Once all anatomical markers are accurately placed over key parts of the body, a biomechanic harness is attached to the rider to capture 3D motion data of the rider with accuracy to the nearest millimetre. The video below shows the data being captured as well as the riders pedaling style and traces from the knee vertically and in relation to the bike frame whilst under load.
Our bike fitter collects the bike fit data in real time and it can be viewed by the rider as it is captured (screenshot below). We record and compare data for both sides of the rider to determine symmetry and any differences in biomechanics between left and right hand sides.
Step 5 – Analysing & Interpreting the Data
The data collected from the motion capture is then used as a tool to assist the bike fitter to make modifications to the existing bike fit. We explain the modifications that need to be made to the existing bike fitting position in combination with the riders musculoskeletal assessment and their riding needs.
Step 6 – Dialing in your Fit
We then begin the process of adjusting the existing bike position. Areas for modification in each bike fit may include:
- Cleat Adjustment (fore / aft)
- Cleat Adjustment (stance width, spacers)
- Cleat Adjustment (cleat wedges, leg length discrepancy wedges and/or arch support)
- Orthotics and arch support
- Retul Futbed (custom cycling inner soles)
- Shoe selection (including custom moulding if required)
- Seat height
- Saddle position (fore / aft)
- Saddle selection
- Saddle angle
- Stem and bar height (spacers)
- Bar orientation
- Stem length
- Bar selection
- Brake hood location
- Brake level orientation and adjustment
- Aero bar selection
- Aero bar pad location
- Aero bar extension length
The modifications to the above factors are all dependent on the circumstances of each individual rider.
Step 7 – Digital measurement of your bike fit position
Once your bike fit position has been finalised, the bike is measured digitally so that all details are measured to the nearest millimeter and the nearest degree.
This data is provided to you in a comprehensive report and also stored at our centre for future reference. This data can then be used for:
- Selecting the ideal frame model and size for your next bike purchase (Frame Selection Service)
- Setting up multiple bikes to match the same bike fit position coordinates (Frame Geometry Match)
- Setting up a newly purchased bicycle to match the same bike fit position (Frame Geometry Match).
- Re-positioning your bike if any components move following travel or an accident
All data is stored safely and can retrieved at any time after a bike fit was performed to select or set up a newly purchased bicycle.